Chennai the business hub of Tamil Nadu & the Capital City situated on the Coromandel Coast is a major industrial, commercial, cultural, economic and educational center of the Southern India. Chennai City is the sixth largest populated in Indian cities. It is known as the “Detroit of India” because many automobile industries are located here.
Beautiful Beaches, One day leisure outlets, Modern Sea Port and Airport, Long and beautiful Highways, Convenient multi-Transport system, Theme parks, Industrial cities, Hi –Tech software silicon valley parks, Sophisticated Multi Specialty Hospitals, World Class Universities, High Rise Business and Residential complexes are the present days outlook of the great Chennai, most sought after by the people of all walks of life from all parts of the world.
Fort St. George is a prestigious land mark of the city. British bought this piece of land from the King of Vijayanagar on 22nd August 1639 and built the Fort St. George and named the area as Madraspattinam. St.Marys Church built in 1860 is located inside the fort complex. Today, Fort St.George houses the State Legislature and the Secretariat, the administrative complex of the Government of Tamil Nadu. The Chief Minister and the Ministers operate from here.
St. George Museum was opened to public from 31st January 1948 and is being maintained by Archaeological Survey of India. Arms like Swords, Daggers, Rifles, Pistols, Mortars, Canon; The uniforms of various ranks of the British Army; Church Silverware from the St. Mary’s Church and Tranquebar Zion Church and other antiquities are displayed in Ten Galleries spread over three floors.
The Marina Beach is the pride of Chennai and the Second Longest Beach of its kind in the world. The Memorials of former Chief Ministers C.N.Annadurai and M.G.Ramachandran are located here. The stretch opposite to the beach is occupied by Madras University, Government Departments, Senate House, Presidency College, Cricket Stadium and Swami Vivekananda Memorial House and All India Radio.
Santhome Cathedral Basilica is one of the Basilicas built over the tomb of an Apostle in the world. It is believed that the remains of St. Thomas were buried in this beach in 78 AD, on which a Church was built. Several years later it was shifted to the present location further towards the land. It houses the mortal remains of St.Thomas. Since then this is popularly called as Santhome Church. Pope John Paul II visited and prayed at this tomb on 5th February 1986.